Usher Winslett has been an ADR professional since 1996. He is currently based in New York City and Georgetown, South Carolina, but he works throughout the US, internationally, and remotely (i.e., via Zoom, etc.).
Some praise Usher has received from attorneys on his ADR work includes:
- “Over the course of more than two decades … litigating civil matters, I have worked with many mediators both in private practice and during my time with the government. Mr. Winslett is by far the best, most effective mediator I have ever retained”;
- “Mr. Winslett did an outstanding job”;
- “extremely knowledgeable about and experienced in copyright law”;
- “Mr. Winslett’s knowledge of securities laws was essential”;
- “He came well prepared, quickly gained the respect and trust of the parties”;
- “one of the best I have worked with”;
- “Excellent job … on a difficult case”.
Usher is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), a Fellow of the ABA Dispute Resolution Section, a AAA arbitrator and mediator, a CPR arbitrator and mediator, a FINRA arbitrator (chair qualified) and mediator, a member of the New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC), and a member of the USCIB, the U.S. affiliate of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). He also serves on the Arbitration and Mediation Panels of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York and on the Mediation Panels for the Southern District of New York and the District of South Carolina. For three years, he served on Eastern District of New York’s ADR Advisory Council, which is responsible for overseeing the court’s ADR program, including recruiting and training arbitrators and mediators.
In his thirty-plus-year legal career, Usher has handled dispute resolution from virtually every angle. He has worked in both big and small law firms and as a corporate general counsel. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants ranging from huge multinational corporations to individuals. In addition, he has held non-legal, senior-management positions in a number of businesses.
In addition to the above, Usher’s diverse career has also included starting a company that imported and distributed shoes from Argentina and serving a deputy campaign manager for a United States Congressperson.
Usher graduated with honors from Washington & Lee University in 1982 and from NYU Law School in 1986.
Currently, in addition to his ADR work, Usher is managing partner and head of the litigation/dispute resolution practice group at Winslett Studnicky McCormick & Bomser LLP.